Well, it's been a year...
Hiya,
It's now been a year since the London bombings (I was totally anxious on the tube this morning), which means we've been here almost a whole year now. On Sunday, it would be our one-year anniversary of being in London. How quick has that gone?!
So, to celebrate, we're getting outta this place. Tomorrow, we get up at 4am to fly out to Slovenia, where we'll spend 3 days before catching the train to Croatia to backpack around a little bit, laze on some islands and just disconnect from the world (I know, how will I cope without internet!?). We'll be back in about ten days, so we'll catch up with y'all then.
In keeping with our run of good luck thus far (we're only a quarter of the way through our two cases of Nastro Peroni Azzurro), tonight we went to the Tower of London Music Festival. I won tickets (again - £55 worth in fact, that's about AU$135!) to see Mr Randy Newman and some dude who calls himself Dr John. We were really there for Randy, who is utterly amazing and incredibly funny and insightful. If the name rings a bell, but you're not sure who he is, he's the guy who's been singing songs on the opening title sequences of lots of movies (e.g. Toy Story, Meet The Parents, Meet The Fockers, the theme for the Monk TV series, Monsters Inc).
Here's some quick pics.
The Tower of London - (no Tina, we still haven't been inside yet), the concert area is just outside...



"Are you ready to rock!?" - spot anyone under 40?

Randy! (sorry about the poor quality blurry pictures... i guess i was really excited!)

Dr John...

...and band

Due to our early wake-up and as we still have to pack, we left after Randy's set and a couple of songs into Dr John's. It was a mostly older crowd. Quite different to what we're used to, but still was enjoyable.
It's now been a year since the London bombings (I was totally anxious on the tube this morning), which means we've been here almost a whole year now. On Sunday, it would be our one-year anniversary of being in London. How quick has that gone?!
So, to celebrate, we're getting outta this place. Tomorrow, we get up at 4am to fly out to Slovenia, where we'll spend 3 days before catching the train to Croatia to backpack around a little bit, laze on some islands and just disconnect from the world (I know, how will I cope without internet!?). We'll be back in about ten days, so we'll catch up with y'all then.
In keeping with our run of good luck thus far (we're only a quarter of the way through our two cases of Nastro Peroni Azzurro), tonight we went to the Tower of London Music Festival. I won tickets (again - £55 worth in fact, that's about AU$135!) to see Mr Randy Newman and some dude who calls himself Dr John. We were really there for Randy, who is utterly amazing and incredibly funny and insightful. If the name rings a bell, but you're not sure who he is, he's the guy who's been singing songs on the opening title sequences of lots of movies (e.g. Toy Story, Meet The Parents, Meet The Fockers, the theme for the Monk TV series, Monsters Inc).
Here's some quick pics.
The Tower of London - (no Tina, we still haven't been inside yet), the concert area is just outside...



"Are you ready to rock!?" - spot anyone under 40?

Randy! (sorry about the poor quality blurry pictures... i guess i was really excited!)

Dr John...

...and band

Due to our early wake-up and as we still have to pack, we left after Randy's set and a couple of songs into Dr John's. It was a mostly older crowd. Quite different to what we're used to, but still was enjoyable.
4 Comments:
Des - what do you mean some guy names Dr John?! You were witnessing one of the great New Orleans Blues Players there!
Signed: You Know Who :D
By
DnT Blog Guest, at 11:52 PM
I know I know. I googled him and he has the credentials, but he just didn't have me at hello.
By
DnT Blog Guest, at 12:12 AM
Admitting my age here... I listened to both these guys as a teenager in the 70s. Dr John was my older piano playing brother's favorite! I'm sure the band was full of real musos as well. How dare you leave!....JMac
By
DnT Blog Guest, at 9:48 AM
hi darls,
haven't written for a while...been trying to post entries for ur reading pleasure...but that's no excuse.
Miss you guys, and I hope you have a great trip!
By
case-in-point, at 11:31 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home