Working at Uni again... And those crazy Brits.
Just finished the third day of a new one month temp assignment. It's not too bad. I'm working in the Dept of Computing at Imperial College in South Kensington. It's nice to be back in academic admin. The people are nice and friendly and very helpful. However, my role is not strictly admin as I'll also be doing some secretarial stuff too. Long story short, I pissed off my temp agency but they got sweet on me again and I got this position. She said, "Imperial College are looking for a temp to fill in for some vacancies". Read: They've got three vacancies they need someone to cover for cheap. So, eventually I'll be doing all three people's positions until they find someone to take the positions permanently. Maybe I could even get one of them if they like me enough. So far, I've just been doing admissions-related stuff for a couple of research groups. Not the same as what I was doing back home though as this time I'm looking after Research Assistant/Associate and PhD applications for the Dept. It's quite cool cos I can get another good insight to the other side of the process of applications and what's happening to Tam's applications.
At the end of this appointment, I've also been offered a 6-month contract at that place I was working at before where I did jack-all. I think that was the kind of job I was looking for when we first set off here - something where you get paid pretty well and involving not much work. In short, a cushy, "dream" job. Makes you think though, sure it sounds good, but dammit, I'm going to get so damn bored there. And it probably won't help my skills or knowledge base. I'm probably not going to take it. A few days a Week is fine, but I'm not sure I could last one month there, let alone six. Need something more challenging and stimulating.
Tam got offered a job last week, which she accepted. After some deep thinking she emailed them this morning to decline the offer cos the pay's not actually that good, and also due to it being far away. Hopefully something better will come along soon cos she's getting quite bored and is itching to start getting some pounds to go and do some serious retail therapy. She's got an interview on Friday anyway just up the road from home, so fingers crossed.
We figured out one of the other reasons why we haven't been getting many call-backs from our applications. The Royal Post hasn't been delivering our letters in a timely fashion. She called up one place following up her application and found out her application had been received ten days after the closing date. Tam investigated and found out today that our First Class postage stamps weren't enough to cover our heavy application packs, so the Post Office dilly-dallied around. Apparently, our applications have been too heavy or something and we should buy more expensive stamps. Since when has "First" Class never been good enough?
One of the things you hear about coming over to the UK is how hard it is to set up a bank account, like its almost impossible. Tam signed up with First Contact and they helped her set up an account when we got here. It's been almost three months now and I still don't have one (I'm getting paid into her account). You gotta have so many different items for proof of ID. Finally got everything I thought you needed and went into the local NatWest bank yesterday with my passport and a gas bill (for proof of address). The customer service rep said I needed a second gas bill. When I explained that we just moved in and won't get one for three months cos its a quarterly bill she said I'd have to wait till then. Then she spied that my passport was Australian and then stated that our government has forbidden them to letting Aussies open bank accounts anymore. What the fuck?! I said in much nicer terms. She said its not NatWest's fault and to take it up with my govt. I should have told her where she could take it up. But I left, walked into the HSBC up the road and am now halfway into opening an account. Just have to attend an interview next week with my passport and gas bill and that's that. So, a hint for anyone who comes over, don't go to those NatWest pricks. Geez, banks suck all over the world huh? Also, you can't sign up with just any doctor/medical centre. It depends on where you live, and not just the suburb, but the street and where abouts you are on that street. Tam walked up the road to the medical centre at the local shopping centre to register us (in case of emergencies), and was told that they don't service us. We gotta go somewhere else and they won't tell you. You need to call up some hotline and tell them your postcode and address and then they'll look it up and let you know where to go. One of our housemates says that we should get used to this kind of stuff. It's the British way, apparently. Things don't come easy. And they don't always do things right. Or give you the right information. But we've managed to get most things sorted out, so we're not too bummed about it. Anyway, we're going to Paris this weekend. Yay!! Taking the Eurostar again early Saturday morning and coming back on Monday evening. Let you know about all that when we get back.
At the end of this appointment, I've also been offered a 6-month contract at that place I was working at before where I did jack-all. I think that was the kind of job I was looking for when we first set off here - something where you get paid pretty well and involving not much work. In short, a cushy, "dream" job. Makes you think though, sure it sounds good, but dammit, I'm going to get so damn bored there. And it probably won't help my skills or knowledge base. I'm probably not going to take it. A few days a Week is fine, but I'm not sure I could last one month there, let alone six. Need something more challenging and stimulating.
Tam got offered a job last week, which she accepted. After some deep thinking she emailed them this morning to decline the offer cos the pay's not actually that good, and also due to it being far away. Hopefully something better will come along soon cos she's getting quite bored and is itching to start getting some pounds to go and do some serious retail therapy. She's got an interview on Friday anyway just up the road from home, so fingers crossed.
We figured out one of the other reasons why we haven't been getting many call-backs from our applications. The Royal Post hasn't been delivering our letters in a timely fashion. She called up one place following up her application and found out her application had been received ten days after the closing date. Tam investigated and found out today that our First Class postage stamps weren't enough to cover our heavy application packs, so the Post Office dilly-dallied around. Apparently, our applications have been too heavy or something and we should buy more expensive stamps. Since when has "First" Class never been good enough?
One of the things you hear about coming over to the UK is how hard it is to set up a bank account, like its almost impossible. Tam signed up with First Contact and they helped her set up an account when we got here. It's been almost three months now and I still don't have one (I'm getting paid into her account). You gotta have so many different items for proof of ID. Finally got everything I thought you needed and went into the local NatWest bank yesterday with my passport and a gas bill (for proof of address). The customer service rep said I needed a second gas bill. When I explained that we just moved in and won't get one for three months cos its a quarterly bill she said I'd have to wait till then. Then she spied that my passport was Australian and then stated that our government has forbidden them to letting Aussies open bank accounts anymore. What the fuck?! I said in much nicer terms. She said its not NatWest's fault and to take it up with my govt. I should have told her where she could take it up. But I left, walked into the HSBC up the road and am now halfway into opening an account. Just have to attend an interview next week with my passport and gas bill and that's that. So, a hint for anyone who comes over, don't go to those NatWest pricks. Geez, banks suck all over the world huh? Also, you can't sign up with just any doctor/medical centre. It depends on where you live, and not just the suburb, but the street and where abouts you are on that street. Tam walked up the road to the medical centre at the local shopping centre to register us (in case of emergencies), and was told that they don't service us. We gotta go somewhere else and they won't tell you. You need to call up some hotline and tell them your postcode and address and then they'll look it up and let you know where to go. One of our housemates says that we should get used to this kind of stuff. It's the British way, apparently. Things don't come easy. And they don't always do things right. Or give you the right information. But we've managed to get most things sorted out, so we're not too bummed about it. Anyway, we're going to Paris this weekend. Yay!! Taking the Eurostar again early Saturday morning and coming back on Monday evening. Let you know about all that when we get back.
1 Comments:
just got back..so buggered...
maybe i'm tired but that just sounds so stupidly frustrating! if aussies can't open a bank accountin UK, who can?
anyways i'll write u an email later.
By
case-in-point, at 10:06 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home